Saturday, March 10, 2012

CAR-LOVE

Well, Guys,

Here's another of my really discouraging  experiences with that great group of men - the car mechanics.  I have to tell you, I think  most of them graduated from  the same  place  and got Ph.D's in the same course:  BEING DISHONEST WITH A WOMAN! I say this because, in most instances, they take one look at me and decide to gyp me in some way.  I mean, I think they make a concerted effort to do this.

Anyhow, about a month ago, my windshield wipers broke on my sweet Toyota Corolla and so I had to deal with a person of that ilk - the owner of an auto repair shop near where I live on Cape Cod.  I had had experience with him before - and knew he would be dishonest with me - but, in this case, he was the most convenient mechanic to help me; I knew not much money would be involved; and so I decided to bite the bullet and drive over to him. 

First, though, I got on the phone and asked him,"Do you sell windshield wipers?"   He replied that yes he did.  "Well, how much do they cost?" I reasonably asked.  "Oh, Ellen, they're $7.00 to $12.00, depending on the length of the blade."  "Great," I responded.  "I'll be down very soon."

So, I trekked over and received the usual lascivous grin from the owner, which annoys me so much.  He always appears to me to be trying to figure out how to outmaneuver me and charge me more than anyone else would - which is why I rarely do business with him.  He makes me feel like prey, if you know what I mean. I managed a few pleasantries, waited for his man to help me, and finally his mechanic attached the wipers

As soon as this process was finished,  I went to pay for the wipers.  "How much?" I inquired.  "Oh," the owner said.  "That will be $21.00!"  Excuse me, I thought to myself.  What happened to the $7.00 and $12.00?, a question which I then asked him.

Giving me his annoying grin again, he said, "Oh, Ellen.  That was just for the blades. But the windshield wipers altogether come to $21.00." "Well, why didn't you tell me that when I called,  for heaven's sake?" I asked.  "Oh, I figured you would know that," he answered.

 "Come on," I replied. "I asked you for information and you did not give it to me," I retorted. Did this guy get great pleasure out of trying to make me seem like a fool?Well, in this case, he is the fool and not I, because finally I realized that I cannot do business with this jerk again - he cannot tell the truth to me at all - and stupidly, he lost a customer for the very low figure of $21.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment